Aug 30, 2009

August update for 52 Weeks

Well August is almost up so I'd thought I'd give an update on my August challenges.


I have given up using handicap parking spaces about 90% of the time (including at work).  If I can find another park I'm using that instead of the handicap park.  My only concessions has been at the movies last night, only once at the grocery store, once on my Fast and Furious Road Trip when there were no other parks.  At work I try not to park in the handicap spaces and I've even had someone ask me about it.  They thought I might have lost the handicap privilege because I hadn't been using it, but once I explained I was trying to save the spaces for other people on days I was feeling up to it.  At least people are noticing this change.


I switched to an eco-friendly laundry detergent and I'm loving it.  It smells wonderful and the little bottle is still going strong.  I'm definitely happy about this change.


I've made several trips to the Salvation Army, and my decluttering has slowed down tremendously because I've done the bulk of it.  There is still a good bit left to do, but it's no where near as much as when I started off at the beginning of the summer.  Freecycle and Craig's list seem to be a little more difficult to get results from, but I haven't completely counted them out.  I give them a go and no luck they go to the Salvation Army.


The flat iron is gone, and this week was the first time that I wanted it back.  But that was only because I was sick and didn't want to mess with my hair.  I wanted to quick and easy solution of straightening my bangs one more when I didn't wake up in time to shower before work.


Now for the challenges I didn't complete this month:
→Declutter apartment room by room
→Give away TV
→Give away/sale oversized desk in living room
→Use up pre-packaged items in apartment
→Walk or bike to cafe to use WiFi



The decluttering is still on going.  I hit a down period where I felt like I just wasn't accomplishing anything, but since I've finally (after a month of badgering) gotten my dad to come take my hutch and chest of drawers away I feel like some breathe has been breathed into my efforts.


My sister has get to come get my TV.  Her car broke down, so they've been trying to get that fixed and find time when she and her boyfriend are off work. Hopefully she will be able to come pick it up soon.


I've still got to finish cleaning off my desk in the living room before I can give it away.  I'm hoping that I can finish it some time in September.  I've got to do some rearranging in order to get this one done.  But again with the illness and stalling in the decluttering effort I don't feel too bad that it hasn't be completed because I did make a huge dent in the massive piles of junk that once lived on my desk.


I'm slowly using up the prepackaged items in the apartment.  This is going to be an on going project, but progress is progress and I'm feeling happy about this one.


As for as biking or walking to the VRE station to use the WiFi didn't happen.  I'm going to blame the heat on this one and then my health.  I will put this one the back burner for now and make a smaller exercise commitment for September.

No comments:

Post a Comment